Jump straight to Registration here.
Jump to Fundraising Pack and Press Release Templates here.
Hat-tastic news!! The UK’s official Wear A Hat Day 2014 is taking place on Friday 28th March. Register NOW to ensure you take part in the nation’s ONLY national brain tumour awareness event that generates awareness of and funds for sustainable and continuous research into brain tumours.
#WearAHatDay is the UK’s largest and most famous national brain tumour awareness and fundraising campaign, created by Brain Tumour Research. We run #WearAHatDay as an awareness raising campaign throughout March, which is National Brain Tumour Awareness Month. Various events during the month will help to maximise awareness, culminating in the official #WearAHatDay on Friday 28th March 2014. Likened to Red Nose Day for Brain Tumours by the media, #WearAHatDay is a really fun way to get involved in a very important cause. Coming up for its fifth year, #WearAHatDay 2014 will be the biggest and boldest yet.
This campaign supports a deadly serious issue: Brain tumours are the biggest cancer killer of children and adults under 40. The research is woefully underfunded, with less than 1% of the national government spending on cancer research being channelled towards brain tumours.
Getting involved in #WearAHatDay is easy, and anyone and everyone can join in - from schools, colleges and universities to shops, offices and clubs, young or old, baby or pensioner, no one is excluded!
Choose a day in March (on, before or after the 28th March, whatever best suits you / your school / organisation etc.) on which to celebrate your #WearAHatDay and use your fundraising pack materials to help promote your event. On the day itself, encourage everyone to don a hat of their choice – the funkier the better we say! – and ask for a £1.00 donation or more from everyone. We need to raise £1 million to fund a new Centre of Hope dedicated to brain tumour research, so please get as many people involved as you can. The more people wearing hats, the greater the awareness and the bigger the fundraising achievement will be! Have your cameras / smart phones ready and follow our fundraising photo tips.
Our Facebook page and Twitter feed are buzzing with exciting events being planned for #WearAHatDay already. So please tell us what your plans are!
How does the money raised get used for research? We grant 100% of our funds to support long-term, sustainable and continuous research at our Centres of Excellence. For every £2,740 pounds raised you can also choose to Sponsor a Day of Research and have a special tile on our Wall of Hope.
Just follow these simple steps to get involved:
1. Click here to go to the Registration Form and submit your details. We will then send out a Fundraising Pack to you by the end of February (if not before). Note: requests for events taking place before or on 28th March will be prioritised over those taking place afterwards. But rest assured, all packs will be dispatched as quickly as possible once all the collateral is ready.
2. Promote your #WearAHatDay event in your school, organisation or wherever and encourage as many people as you can to take part. The sooner you start planning the bigger and more successful your event can be. Teaser #WearAHatDay A6 flyers and Fridge Magnets are already available and being sent out to everyone who registers.
Wear A Hat Day A6 Teaser Flyer & Wear A Hat Day Fridge Magnet.
Get 'em while they last!
3. Publicise your event using our template press releases (coming soon, by end of February if not before).
4. Be social: Share your plans and any/all events on social media - find us on Facebook etc by using the links at the top left of any page on our website. Don't forget to send us your quality photos and videos too. Advice for shraing images with us is here (link coming soon).
5. Collect all the money raised from your event/s, badge boxes, collection boxes and buckets and pay them into us in one of the following ways. Please note: If you’re planning further fundraising events for Brain Tumour Research we’re very happy for you to keep any buckets and polyboxes, but please send in any money collected for #WearAHatDay before your next event. If you’d rather bank the money until you've reached you target through multiple events i.e. so you can sponsor a day of research, please identify which amounts were raised for which events.
#WearAHatDay can be celebrated with just about any kind of fundraising event – common activities include best hat and hat throwing competitions to raffles, and passing the hat to collect donations. Check out all the fun ideas we've come up with so far: A-Z of #WearAHatDay Events. Think you've got ideas to expand this list? Don't be shy, tell us now!
Still got questions? Talk to us, we'd love to hear from you: hat-mail us by clicking here or call us on the hat-phone 01296 733011 and let's have a chat!