Funding call 2022
Could you be our new Centre of Excellence?
This call is now closed to applications. We are reviewing the applications received and look forward to announcing our new Centre of Excellence in March 2023. If you are interested in learning more about our current Centres, click here.
Brain Tumour Research Centres of Excellence support long-term research, build the ‘critical mass’ of expertise needed to accelerate the journey to find a cure, and as the teams’ research progresses, attract increased research investment from other sources allowing game-changing progress and collaborations to take place.
A Centre of Excellence will:
- Grow capacity in the UK, bringing together, or continuing to build a critical mass of staff, infrastructure and collaborations
- Create an environment for innovative, collaborative research
- Provide leadership and support
- Develop skills and expertise
- Provide a rich training ground for junior researchers
- Be a partner with the host institution
- Establish and raise the visibility and focus of brain tumour research within the host institution
- Transform research into brain tumours
- Deliver insights that will lead to translational impact, accelerate treatments and improve outcomes for people affected by this disease
- Leverage additional funding - for every £1 we commit, secure a further £3 from other sources
Applicants must be based at and the research undertaken in a UK research institution.
Duration and award value
Funding will be for an initial period of five years followed by quinquennial reviews providing a further five years of funding.
The budget will be up to £2.5m initially over five years.
We are open to any proposals addressing high-grade and/or low-grade, adult and/or paediatric primary brain tumours.
Key dates and deadlines
Our review criteria
- Scientific excellence
- Brain tumour research relevance
- Track record
- Team and collaborative environment
- Resources and infrastructure in place to deliver the proposed research
- Training programme
- University partnership and commitment
- Resources requested
- Plans to leverage Brain Tumour Research funding
Find all the answers to your questions here.